- Enable IMAP in both your old and new gmail email accounts.
- Download Thunderbird.
- Add your old gmail email account to Thunderbird with IMAP protocol options.
- Add your new gmail email account to Thunderbird.
- In your old gmail email account, expand the [Gmail] folder to view the IMAP folders for your gmail account.
- Select the email messages you want to copy to your new gmail account.
- Right Click >> Copy To >> new gmail account >> [Gmail] >> whatever location you want the email to be copied to (Inbox, Sent, All Mail)
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Use thunderbird to Transfer gmail email
I recently made the decision to switch from one gmail account to another. The former was created in college and was more for fun than future use. The second one I created is more appropriately named and professionally sounding. Anyhow, I wanted to transfer all email from one gmail account to the next. There was not a clearly defined way to do this, so I had to hunt around the interwebs to find a solution for myself. Here are the steps I took: